The following instructions are for Wiredrive clients who need to create media RSS Presentations that will be integrated into a Wiredrive-powered website. If you are a web developer integrating Wiredrive mRSS links into a website, see our guide to mRSS for developers.
If you opt for this route:
- Make sure that your files are properly encoded for playback over the Web and on media devices; see our encoding guide for more information
- Make sure that your files are tagged with the categories and keywords you want to be displayed on your site; See Creating and managing Library Categories and Keywords for more information).
- Create a user profile specifically for creating and sending mRSS links to your web developer to prevent other users from accidentally modifying or deleting your website Presentations; See Creating Users + Permission Levels for more information
- Create Presentations and send them to your developer; You must enable the Allow download/Podcast/RSS option. Please note, RSS is only available in Classic presentations.
- You developer can access the RSS in the top right corner of the presentation.
- When your developer has programmed the RSS links into your site, you can make changes to the Presentations (adding/ removing media + categories) in Wiredrive and it will reflect on the site. Make sure you do not delete the presentations.
Tips and best practices
- Use the media gallery Presentation type to feed images to your website; this allows your developer to create a rotating homepage image.
- Use a Presentation naming convention that clearly identifies how they fit into your website; examples:
- Homepage – general reel
- Directors – John Doe – music videos
- Directors – John Doe – commercials
- You can send individual links to your developer or send a bundle containing everything.
- To ensure that your media always successfully loads on your website, make sure you do not set the Presentation to expire.
- Make sure that your files are properly encoded for third-party players, such as JW Player or Flowplayer if your developer is using a third-party player in your website; While Wiredrive does transcode files within the application, the RSS feed contains the source file, not the transcoded version.
- If you opt for an html5 playback strategy, make sure your files are H.264/ .mp4 or they won't work.