It is possible to use Wiredrive presentations + iTunes as a means of automatically transferring large audio and video files to users. This eliminates the need to send multiple presentations to individuals who need to download files regularly from the same project.
Use cases for this large file transfer include:
- Dailies delivery
- Full res VFX sequences
- High-quality sound files
- and so on...
Keep in mind that this function only works for audio and video files.
To utilize large file transfers via RSS, do the following:
FOR THE SENDER
- In the project where you want to utilize the transfer function, create a new folder where the large files will be uploaded.
- Upload your files into the folder.
- Using the "Get Link" or "Send" function, create or send a presentation. Make sure the "Allow download/podcast/RSS" option is left checked
FOR THE RECIPIENT
- Open the presentation. In the upper left-hand corner, click the "Podcast" text. This may prompt you to allow iTunes to open (depending on the browser).
- iTunes will open up to your Podcasts, click "Old Episodes" to show all contents of the folder
- Click "Add All" to download all files within the folder.
- Now, any further files uploaded to the folder will sync in iTunes (iTunes automatically refreshes every hour) and can be downloaded without needing to resend the presentation.
Please note that iTunes does not support all file types, so this will not work with all files. The following files do work:
Currently, ProRes is not supported by iTunes in this workflow.